Search This Blog

Thursday 5 April 2012


Good Friday

"In 1963 a friend gave me an expensive crucifix. A French artist had carved in wood, carved very delicately, the hands of Jesus on the cross. On Good Friday the Roman artists carved - O God, how they carved! - our brother Jesus with no trouble at all. No art was needed to bang in the nails with hammers, no red lead to make real blood gush from His hands, feet, and side. His mouth was contorted and His lips twisted simply by hoisting Him up on the crossbeam. We have so theologized the passion and death of this sacred man that we no longer see the slow unraveling of His tissue, the spread of gangrene, His raging thirst." -Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel 
I was going to post a Youtube clip of the crucifixion from The Passion of the Christ...then I watched it. Now I remember why I have only seen the movie once. It messed me up - in a good way.

I have to speak at an event in a couple hours about the cross. Right now all I want to do is sit and be quiet.

Thank you, Jesus.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment